The Orkney Family History Society has an office in the Orkney Library & Archive, and is usefully located next to the Archives. Our office is staffed by volunteers, and visitors, whether members or not, are assured of a friendly welcome.
The Orkney Library & Archive
Our opening times are:-
Mon to Fri: 14:00 hrs - 16:30 hrs
Saturday: 11:00 hrs - 16:30 hrs
The actual Archives are usually open from 09:00 - 17:00 hrs.
Click here to see what services the Library & Archive can provide.
Click on the links for Contact and Membership details.
We will be one of many similar societies operating worldwide, through which members share a mutual interest in family history. We will help each other with research and, from time to time, assist in special projects concerning the countless records and subjects
available to us all for finding our roots.
The Orkney Family History Society was formed in 1997 and is run by a committee of volunteers.
The main objectives of our society are:
- To establish a local organisation for the study, collection, analysis and sharing of information about individuals and families in Orkney.
- To establish and maintain links with other family history groups and genealogical societies throughout the UK and overseas.
- To establish and maintain a library and other reference facilities as an information resource for members and approved subscribers.
- To promote study projects and special interest working groups to pursue approved assignments.
We have an office, adjacent to the archives department in the Orkney Library, which holds our library etc and is available for members to do their research. The office is staffed by volunteers and is open to visitors and members during set hours or by arrangement.
Our library, although small at the moment, holds a variety of information, most of which has been donated from members. It is our aim to record as much of this as possible on a database to facilitate research.
Most months we have an open Society Meeting which generally has a guest speaker.
We produce a magazine 4 times a year (providing we get enough articles submitted) which is posted out to our members*, and we maintain a directory of our members and their interests to allow members with similar interests to correspond with each other.
* As our magazine is available for viewing and downloading from the members pages on the website members living outwith the UK can elect to pay the lower Standard Membership rate and NOT receive a posted copy of the magazine.
We can usually undertake to do research for our members who live outwith Orkney, but this is dependent on the willingness of our island members giving up their spare time to help.
Members have access to online resources as described on the home page.
Genealogy is a rewarding and absorbing subject which requires a great deal of time and patience.
Many of our members have been studying their family histories for many years, while others have only just started. All enjoy the detective work, especially when they pull out those surprises! Many enjoy the membership of other family history societies also.
So, if you have any family links and / or subject interests in the Orkney Isles and wish to join please go to the membership section where you may join online or complete the 'membership forms' and send to The Treasurer.